The current health care law provides people with critical protections that benefit cancer patients and survivors, as well as anyone who might one day be faced with a cancer diagnosis.
ACS CAN is working to ensure any congressional action preserves these and other lifesaving provisions.
Access to Health Insurance Coverage
- Enable young adults to stay on their parents' health plan until age 26.
- Ensure seniors have consistent prescription drug coverage that allows them to afford the medications they need.
- Provide patients with access to affordable, comprehensive health insurance coverage options
- Eliminate disparities in prevention and treatment of cancer among our nation’s most vulnerable by ensuring comprehensive, affordable coverage is available in every state either through Medicaid or cost-sharing assistance.
Affordable Cancer Prevention, Detection and Treatment
- Provide patients no- or low-cost coverage for lifesaving cancer prevention and early detection services, including mammograms and colonoscopies.
- Prevent patients from being charged more for health insurance because of their health status.
- Reasonably limit the amount patients must pay in out-of-pocket costs and deductibles.
- Help people and families with low to moderate incomes buy health insurance.
Continuity of Health Insurance Coverage
- Prohibit patients from being denied health coverage because they have a pre-existing condition such as cancer.
- Continue the prohibition on annual and lifetime dollar limits on coverage that can cut off needed care for patients with cancer.
- Prevent patients from having their existing coverage canceled when they get sick.