The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) social media accounts allow us to connect and interact with the public. They also provide an opportunity for users to connect and interact with us, as well as with other users. ACS CAN requests that all comments posted on its social media channels be respectful and courteous.
This Social Media Comment and Message Policy sets forth an understanding of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable regarding posting of comments on and sending messages to ACS CAN’s social media channels.
We encourage all users to engage and participate in discussions on ACS CAN’s social media channels. However, this does not imply that ACS CAN agrees with or accepts the content, opinions, or views stated in comments posted by users. Users are fully responsible for the content of their own comments and messages; ACS CAN accepts no responsibility for any content posted by users. Comments made or messages sent to ACS CAN’s social media channels will not, in any way, constitute a legal or official notice to ACS CAN or any of its directors, officers, or employees.
By posting content to any ACS CAN social media channel, users understand and acknowledge that this information is available to the public, and that others may use posted information without ACS CAN’s knowledge or control. If you do not want your content made public and possibly used, published, copied and/or reprinted, do not post on any ACS CAN social media channel.
ACS CAN regularly reviews comments posted and messages sent by users to ACS CAN’s social media channels. Although social media is a 24/7 medium, moderating and reviewing comments and messages will only occur during business hours of ACS CAN’s national or regional staff.
While not obligated, ACS CAN reserves the right, to hide or remove any comment from ACS CAN social media channels if ACS CAN believes, in its sole discretion, that such comment:
- Uses profane, vulgar, obscene, racist, threatening, harassing, bullying, violent, sexually explicit or abusive language, images, graphics, or video.
- Incites hatred or violence, or uses hate speech.
- Is inappropriate or offensive.
- Is suggestive of or encourages illegal activity.
- Is libelous or contains personal attacks of any kind, including use of offensive terms that target particular people or groups of people.
- Includes personally identifiable information, such as an email address or phone number.
- Is irrelevant or off topic to the original post.
- Distributes false or misleading information or makes unsupported accusations.
- Includes privileged, personal, proprietary, or other confidential information.
- Infringes copyright or trademark laws.
- Posts spam or advertisements, promotes products or services, or engages in coordinated inauthentic behavior.
- Engages in political campaigning.
- Duplicates or repeats previous posts.
ACS CAN will also hide or remove comments that violate the terms, community standards, rules, guidelines, or policies of the following platforms:
- Facebook Terms of Service and Community Standards
- Twitter Terms of Service and Rules and Policies
- LinkedIn User Agreement and Professional Community Policies
- YouTube Terms of Service and Community Guidelines
If a user repeatedly violates the ACS CAN comment policy in their comments or messages, or engages in other disruptive behavior, ACS CAN reserves the right to block them from all of its social media channels.