2023 Maryland Legislative Session Summary
Ensuring Access to Quality Care
· Biomarker Testing Coverage: Biomarker insurance coverage legislation passed both houses and is awaiting delivery to the Governor. The bill provides full coverage (not just cancer) and will apply to private insurers beginning Jan. 2024; and Medicaid beginning July 2025. During that time studies will be done on outreach to minority communities and the fiscal impact of public sector coverage.
· Prohibiting Co-Pays for Breast Exams: Legislation would prohibit insurance carriers that provide coverage for a “diagnostic breast examination” or a “supplemental breast examination” from imposing a co-pay, co-insurance or deductible requirement.
· Requiring Diagnostic Coverage: Legislation would require carriers to provide coverage for recommended follow-up diagnostic imaging to assist in the diagnosis of lung cancer.
· Health Coverage Expansion: Bills expanding health insurance coverage through various methods passed and are awaiting Governor’s consideration.
· Baltimore Hope Lodge: $250,000 was pre-authorized by the General Assembly for FY25
Cancer Prevention and Early Detection
Reducing the Toll of Tobacco
· Cannabis Reform: An attempt to allow designated cannabis on-site consumption locations to be exempt from Maryland’s Clean Indoor Air Act was beaten back. Smoking cannabis would be allowed only outdoors on premise.
· $5M for the Cannabis Public Health Fund
· The Maryland Cancer Fund and Cigarette Restitution Fund saw increases in funding.