CHEYENNE, Wyo.—The Cheyenne City Council heard public testimony on Monday night as they considered adding electronic cigarettes to the local smoke-free law.
New Law Makes All University of Hawaii Campuses Tobacco-Free
UH Students, Faculty, Visitors Protected from Secondhand Smoke, Including E-Cigarette Aerosol
HONOLULU—July 11, 2018—The process of making all 10 University of Hawaii campuses tobacco-free begins today after new legislation sponsored by the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) became law. Electronic cigarettes are included in the comprehensive tobacco-free law that took effect yesterday, July 10.
Davin Aoyagi, grassroots manager for ACS CAN Hawaii Pacific, released the following statement:
"Mahalo to Hawaii’s policymakers for protecting current UH students and future generations from dangerous secondhand smoke and e-cigarette aerosol. UH campuses are meant to help Hawaii’s future generations learn and grow, not foster potentially deadly tobacco addictions.
"We know that 99 percent of all adults who smoke become addicted to tobacco before they turn 26 and that’s why it’s critical to support our youth with prevention and cessation efforts, as well as eliminate their exposure to secondhand smoke, e-cigarette aerosol and all tobacco products in their learning environments. This lifesaving legislation will protect 51,000 students across the UH System, as well as ensure that faculty, staff, children in the UH daycare and visitors to our campuses can breathe clean air, free of all tobacco use."
With this new law, the University of Hawaii System joins more than 1,800 college and university campuses across the country that are tobacco-free. Hawaii residents who want to quit using tobacco are encouraged to call the Hawaii Quitline at 1-800-784-8669.
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death in Hawaii, and secondhand smoke exposure causes many serious health issues, including cancer. An estimated 30 percent of all cancer deaths are caused by tobacco. There is no safe level of secondhand smoke exposure.