2020 North Dakota Legislative Priorities
Victory in the fight against cancer requires public policies that promote cancer prevention, early detection of cancer, and expand access to quality, affordable health care. Lawmakers make many decisions that impact the lives of North Dakota residents touched by cancer and their leadership is vital to defeating this disease. In 2020, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) will work in the legislative interim, preparing for the 2021 North Dakota legislative session.
Reducing the toll of Tobacco
- Smoke-free air: Protect North Dakota's comprehensive smoke-free policies that includes all restaurants, bars, and non-hospitality workplaces at the state and local levels.
- Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Funding: ACS CAN will work to fund and increase evidence-based, statewide tobacco use prevention and cessation programs.
Quality of Life
- Protecting Access to Pain Medication for Cancer Patients: ACS CAN will monitor legislative proposals regarding the prescribing of opioid pain medications and advocate for a balanced approach that promotes safe prescribing and dispensing of pain management medication that does not interfere with access to these medicines for the cancer patients and survivors who need them.
Healty Eating and Active Living Environments (HEALE);
- ACS CAN will work with the North Dakota Department of Health in the interim to plan, implement, and evaluate healty eating and active living environments issues.
Ensuring Access to Quality Care:
North Dakota ACS CAN will be on the lookout for new legislative activity in the interim on:
- Medicaid Expansion: ACS CAN will support interim work that preserves access to Medicaid for income qualifying parents and adults and will continue to advocate for reauthorization of Medicaid Expanion in 2021.
- Network Adequacy: ACS CAN will support legislation regarding health insurance network adequacy to help ensure that cancer patients and cancer survivors have access to appropriate medical specialists they may need.
- Medication Access: ACS CAN will advocate for legislation that ensures prior authorization and step therapy requirements for prescription drugs are clear, efficient and patient-friendly while also allowing for exceptions when appropriate. We will also support legislation to prohibit mid-year changes to prescription drug coverage or out-of-pocket costs during the plan year.
- Prescription Drug Formulary Transparency: ACS CAN will continue to work to promote passage of our state model prescription drug formulary transparancy legislation that allows cancer patients and all health consumers to know which drugs are covered and what their out-of-pocket costs will be for those drugs before buying a health insurance plan.
ACS CAN, the nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy affiliate of the American Cancer Society, supports evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top priority. ACS CAN gives ordinary people extraordinary power to fight cancer with the training and tools they need to make their voices heard.