ACS CAN Florida is proud to present our inaugural virtual policy series on Research and Innovation. In 2022, we will be offering three "Lunch & Listen" programs in the Summer and Fall of this year featuring topics: August 25: Biomarker Testing & Precision Medicine: The Patient Experience September 22: Innovation
Expand Access to Biomarker Testing in Florida
Biomarker testing helps connect patients with the right treatment at the right time. ACS CAN and partners are working together to make sure more Floridians can benefit from this important testing.
What is Biomarker Testing?
- In cancer care, biomarkers are often used to help determine the best treatment for a patient.
- A “biomarker” is a sign of a normal biological process, disease or abnormal function that can be measured in blood, tissue or bodily fluid.
- Biomarker testing is the analysis of a patient’s tissue, blood or other biospecimen for the presence of a biomarker.
Policy action needed to ensure more Floridians benefit.
- Not all communities are benefiting from the latest advancements in biomarker testing and precision medicine.
- Communities that have been excluded including communities of color, individuals with lower socioeconomic status, rural communities, and those receiving care in non-academic medical centers are less likely to receive biomarker testing.
- Improving coverage for and access to biomarker testing across insurance types is key to reducing health disparities.
- Without action to expand coverage and access to biomarker testing, advances in precision medicine could increase existing disparities in cancer outcomes by race, ethnicity, income, and geography.
- Insurance coverage for biomarker testing is failing to keep pace with innovations and advancements in treatment.
Click the title below to walk through five hypothetical patient profiles to help illustrate the impact of biomarker testing on treatment and outcomes in our new report;
"The Right Tests for the Right Treatment: Patient experiences with and without access to comprehensive biomarker testing"