• Breast and Cervical Cancer: Over the last 30 years, Nebraska’s Every Woman Matters program has provided over 130,000 mammograms and 150,000 Pap tests to uninsured/underinsured women. ACS CAN will advocate to maintain state general funding for this lifesaving breast and cervical cancer screening program which is administered by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.
• Colorectal Cancer: Colorectal Cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death in Nebraska. Despite advancements in screening and treatment, colorectal cancer does not affect every community the same. ACS CAN supports legislation to remove barriers to colorectal screening to improve uptake of preventive services, screenings and treatments.
Reducing the Toll of Tobacco
• Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Funding: ACS CAN will work to maintain funding for evidence-based, statewide tobacco prevention and cessation programs.
Ensuring Access to Quality Care
• Affordable, Adequate Health Insurance: ACS CAN will advocate for policies that ensure access to quality, affordable and comprehensive health insurance and will support efforts to curb the availability of inadequate health plans.
• Local governments are uniquely positioned to meet the needs of the people in their communities. ACS CAN supports their ability to pass laws that are proven to promote good health, well-being, and equity. The right of local governments to pass public health policies must be preserved to continue future advocacy efforts to reduce suffering and death from cancer.
For more information, contact: Megan Word, Nebraska Government Relations Director ACS CAN